Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

March 27, 2008

Surfer Paintings - the first series.

 Surfers, Fistral Beach, Cornwall 36 x 36 inches.
 Fistral Beach 36 x 36 inches.
 After the rain, Fistral Beach 60 x 16 inches.
 Fistral surfers, Cornwall.
 Winter waves, Fistral Beach, Cornwall.
 Surfers and reflections, Cornwall 24 x 48 inches.
 Shoreline surf, Fistral Beach 48 x 48 inches.
 Morning after the storm, Fistral Beach. 24 x 48 inches.
 Long horizon, Fistral Beach, Cornwall.

When I start a new series of paintings I make thumbnail sketches in my note book. These take in to account the size and shape of the canvas - square, long, tall, thin, fat, etc and how big. I consider where I'm going to place the horizon line and the size and silhouette of the surfers. The colour palette is loosely defined by a photo I've taken or perhaps a previous painting, or an idea that's floating around in my mind.

I translate these thumbnails to canvasses and usually work on a small series - 3 or 4 paintings at the same time. I find this gives me freedom to paint in a loose style - in the hope that the images don't become overworked.

I work quickly and intuitively, building many layers over a few weeks.  The paintings quickly take on a life of their own, a mixture of representation and abstraction, often only a trace of the photo, of what originally caught my eye, shows.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...