Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

January 09, 2012

Winter sun near Rock, Cornwall


Dreams, then waking.  At times it was hard to tell the difference; I would drift out of riotous slumber and get up and walk around in a hazy, shallow state that seemed only a calmer, less tormented form of sleep than that which had gone before.  I tramped the roads in the chill of dawn while a white sun came up tremblingly out of the sea. Everything is strange at that hour, stranger than usual, I mean: the world looks as I imagine it will look after I am dead, wide and empty and streaked with long shadows, shocked somehow and not quite solid, all odd-angled light and shifting facades.  These open vistas - so much sky! - alarmed me.  I was permanently dizzy, clinging for dear life to our flying island, and there was constantly a sort of distant ringing in my ears.  It felt like early morning all day long, there was that fizzing in the blood, that taste of metal in the mouth.  The days hung heavy, falling towards night.  We watched in silence the unremitting, slow advance of time.

Excerpt from Ghosts by John Banville.

Print of painting: Winter Sun near Rock, Cornwall

Say hello on Facebook
Chat on Twitter
Pin me on Pinterest




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...