Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

July 25, 2014

#FridayPainting : Emerald Rock Pool Girls

Some paintings I just can't live without .... like this one, called Emerald Rock Pool Girls.  

It's a painting of my daughter and her friend sitting in a rockpool on a favourite beach in Brittany.  I simply love this painting - the feeling has nothing to do with whether it's my best painting .... it's more about time and memory.  

I'm often asked how I feel when paintings are sold, will I miss them?

The answer is Yes, always.  Part of me goes with them.

Selling a painting is a mixture of thrill, (that the painting resonates with someone so much they want to live with it in their own home), and loss.  

Because a painting is all about an investment in time - there's the time spent creating the piece, when I form a relationship with it as I build/create the image - and then there's ALL the time that comes before that .... a lifetime, in fact!  (When someone asks me how long a painting has taken, well, the question is more complicated than it seems ....).

'.... all the time you put into it, all that still lives in the work after it's done ..... so you're looking at something that's stocked with this huge amount of time passed - but held. You know a good painting holds all that.'  
April Gornik (artist).


View my photographs that inspired this painting over on Melanie McDonald Photography Blog

You can buy Limited Edition Prints and Canvas Wraps of Emerald Rock Pool Girls in my online shop.

Take a look at all my paintings at - Melanie McDonald Gallery
Or come and say Hello, ask a question (love to hear from you!), and chat with me on Twitter
Keep in touch by Liking my NEW page on Facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...