Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

August 03, 2014

Inspiration is .... Angela Missoni and her gull seascape dress.


My latest coastal paintings feature solitary walkers and gulls, (.... gulls have become a bit of an obsession!).  I came across Missoni's gull seascape dress in March's Vogue UK magazine.  A world renown Italian brand, Missoni is famous for its kaleidoscope and zigzag style knits.  The Spring Summer '14 collection is designed by Angela Missoni, (the third child of Ottavio and Rosita Missoni who started the company over 50 years ago).  This season, Angela's designs are centered around the four natural elements - water, earth, fire and air.  Her standout gull dress, (pictured above), illustrates her coastal inspired theme of oversized, silhouetted flying gull shapes and choppy, chevron-esque waves.  These simple graphic elements have been re-imagined, (enlarged, simplified, recoloured), and printed onto various fabrics such as silk, cotton and chiffon, or knitted into patterns. I've posted some of my favourites below, but it's really worth taking a look at Angela Missoni's entire collection for SS14 here - her clothes are like good art, they are astonishing, exciting and intrinsically beautiful.

It's inspiring for me to see how one idea - gulls and waves - has sparked designs for the entire collection, a lesson I'm taking with me into the studio today ....










Images via and with thanks to Fashionisers.com

If you like this post, please subscribe by email using the 'WEEKLY NEWS INTO YOUR INBOX' Form near the top of the page.

You can take a look at all my paintings at - Melanie McDonald Gallery
Or come and say Hello, ask a question (love to hear from you!), and chat with me on Twitter
Like my NEW page on Facebook
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...