Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

January 16, 2014

Famous painters of Brittany, France




The artist I'd just met said she'd been 'drawn to the enigma of Brittany', and I wondered what that meant.  I've been thinking about artists in Brittany, and in whose footsteps I tread.  Who else has been drawn to this wild peninsula profoundly linked to the sea?

Top : Paul Gauguin - The Kelp Gatherers 1890

 Claude Monet - Belle-Ile Rain Effect 1886

 Emile Bernard - Laundresses in Brittany 1939

 Edouard Vuillard - Beach at Saint Jacut 1909

 Vincent van Gogh - Breton Women 1888

 Eugene Boudin (1824-1898) - Brest, The Harbour

 Odilon Redon - Breton Village 1890

 Pierre-Auguste Renoir - The Coast of Brittany Fishing Boats 1878

 John Piper - Brittany Coast, France 1963


 Henri Matisse - Belle-Ile-en-Mer 1896


 Marc Chagall - La fenêtre sur l'Ile de Bréhat 1924

Pablo Picasso - On the Beach, Dinard 1928

'We all had a debt to pay to Brittany. It was she who lit up our youth, she who brought us so many poetic emotions and kindled Faith and a love of Art.' Emile Bernard, artist (1868 - 1941)

More paintings by famous artists in Brittany on my Finistère Brittany Pinboard 

Prints of Melanie McDonald paintings in my Online Shop 
Chat online with me @MelMcDonaldArt on Twitter 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...