Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

August 13, 2011

Paintings of Rock and the Camel Estuary and a few words from John Betjemen ....

Those moments, tasted once and never done,
Of long surf breaking in the mid-day sun.

And in the shadowless, unclouded glare
Deep blue above us fades to whiteness where
A misty sea-line meets the wash of air.

Against the breeze the breakers haste,
Against the tide their ridges run
And all the sea's a dappled waste
Criss-crossing underneath the sun.
Here where the cliffs alone prevail 
I stand exultant, neutral, free,
And from the cushion of the gale
Behold a huge consoling sea. 



With some words from Cornish Cliffs and Winter Seascape by Sir John Betjeman CBE and Poet Laureate.  Betjeman's love affair with Cornwall began when he arrived at Trebetherick as a small boy from the London suburbs before the first world war.  The observations in his, often humorous, poetry manage to evoke a touching sense of time and place.  He died at his Cornish home near Daymer Bay aged 77, and is buried at St. Enodoc church on the Camel Estuary.  


View paintings of Rock and the Camel Estuary on my website http://www.melaniemcdonald.co.uk/gallery_paintings-of-polzeath-rock-and-padstow.htm



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...