Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

April 25, 2012

Nothing but rock and sea ....

Wavey ran to get away, then for the sake of running, and at last because there was nothing else to do.  It would look undecided to change her pace, as though she did not know what she wanted.  It seemed always that she had to keep on performing pointless acts.


Quoyle lay in the heather and stared after her, watching the folds of her blue skirt erased by the gathering distance.  The aunt, the children, Wavey.  He pressed his groin against the barrens as if he were in union with the earth.  His aroused senses imbued the far scene with enormous importance.  The small figures against the vast rock with the sea beyond.  All the complex wires of life were stripped out and he could see the structure of life.  Nothing but rock and sea, the tiny figures of humans and animals against them for a brief time.


The sharpness of his gaze pierced the past.  He saw generations of Quoyles rinsed of evil by the passage of time.  He imagined the aunt buried and gone, himself old, Wavey stooped with age, his daughters in faraway lives, Herry still delighted by wooden dogs and coloured threads, a grizzled Herry who would sleep in a north room at the top of the house or in the little room under the stairs.


A sense of purity renewed, a sense of events in trembling balance flooded him.


Everything, everything seemed encrusted with portent.



Excerpt from The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

Painting: Looking out over a turquoise sea, Arisaig, Scotland



Join the chat with me on Twitter
Say hello on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest
Follow my pictures on Tumblr


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...