Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

November 29, 2011

Red beach.


He just wanted to hear what I thought of the idea.  He intended to set up an office in Paris to handle that side of the business on the spot by dealing directly with the big companies and he wanted to know if I was prepared to go over there.  I'd be able to live in Paris and travel around for part of the year as well.  'You're a young man, and I imagine that sort of life must appeal to you'.  I said yes but really I didn't mind.  He then asked me if I wasn't interested in changing my life.  I replied that you could never change your life, that in any case one life was as good as another and that I wasn't at all dissatisfied with mine here.  He looked upset and told me that I always evaded the question and that I had no ambition, which was disastrous in the business world.  So I went back to work, I'd rather not have upset him, but I couldn't see any reason for changing my life.  Come to think of it, I wasn't unhappy.  When I was a student, I had plenty of that sort of ambition.  But when I had to give up my studies, I very soon realized that none of it really mattered.

Excerpt from The Outsider by Albert Camus.

Painting:  Surfer, Red Beach.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...