Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

April 18, 2012

Surfer paintings at the Tubestation .....

I'm sitting on a rock down by the shore in Polzeath, North Cornwall - sketchbook on my knee and a flask of coffee near by .... what more could you ask for?  The weather has turned warm, suddenly everything feels different; the sea-light is clear and the ocean sparkling, the sky is a delicate bird's egg blue.  It's as if the world is stirring - I don't know about you, but I always feel a little intoxicated by Spring .... a little wild ....


It's good to get out of the studio, to embrace the elements, feel the beach-vibe and experience the positive energy that eminates from this special place.  I've been working long hours on a series of paintings for my exhibition at the Tubestation.  It's a surfer inspired show, just right for this funky hang-out right next to Polzeath's famous surfing beach.  This old Methodist school hall (in much need of love and attention) was turned on its head in 2006, refitted, revamped and reborn, so to speak.  It's a thriving cafe with a difference - a charity set up to serve surf culture and to provide generously for the local community.  With the superb surfing beach but a flip-flop's throw away, you can really relax and enjoy the artwork. 

View all the paintings on-line here> Surfer Paintings Polzeath Tubestation

Through these new paintings, I've tried to use the concept of the surfer as a symbol of freedom - depicting the surfer perhaps waiting for the next wave or returning to a favourite beach.  In some of the poses, I've tried to capture the energy of the sport, with an emphasis on the surfers' relationship with their surroundings - the raw and exciting forces of nature.  I've recently come to appreciate the contemporary culture which surfing encapsulates - an alternative lifestyle. 


Surfer Paintings, Tubestation (opposite beach car park) Polzeath Cornwall

  


Melanie McDonald Exhibition at the Tubestation Polzeath 


Read more about the incredible history of the Tubestation

Join the chat with me on Twitter
Say hello on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest
Follow my pictures on Tumblr



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...