Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

June 28, 2012

Surf art for Pottery Barn Teen ....

Opportunity sometimes knocks very softly ....

I was travelling in my camper in the Hebrides of Scotland - the old fashioned way, out of mobile range and without internet access.  It took Shane in San Francisco two emails to get my attention - 'Hi Melanie, I am a designer for Pottery Barn Teen brand and .... we're looking to work with authentic artists .... we really like the overall style of your surf paintings ....'

Surely not THE Pottery Barn I thought .... The One with the Apothecary Table in that episode of Friends ....

Pottery Barn is HUGE in the US - in fact it's the leading home furnishings retailer in the country with over 200 stores and a direct-mail business that distributes over 100 million catalogues a year!

.... emails and jpegs winged their way back and forth across the Atlantic ....

It turned out to be a fun collaboration with a great bunch of creative people at the PBTeen design studio.
Three stunning surf wall art pieces are now in the Pottery Barn Teen art gallery.
My paintings inspired by the beautiful beaches of Cornwall have gone global!
Opportunity had knocked softly, but I heard it ....

A reminder that when I'm alone in my studio or at my computer, we're part of something bigger ....

Thank you Shane and everybody at Pottery Barn Teen xx

Join the chat with me on Twitter
Say hello on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest
Follow my pictures on Tumblr 








Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...