Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

June 24, 2012

To glimpse things beyond ....

"You know, Nephew, I wouldn't rush to do that.  I'd give it some time.  There's other possibilities.  What I'm getting at is maybe she is sensitive in a way the rest of us aren't. Tuned in to things we don't get.  There's people here like that."  Looked sidewise at Quoyle to see how he took that.  That his daughter might glimpse things beyond static reality.
But Quoyle didn't believe in strange genius.  Feared that loss, the wretchedness of childhood, his own failure to love her enough had damaged Bunny.
"Why don't you just wait, Nephew.  See how it goes.  She starts school in September. Three months is a long time for a child.  I agree with you that she's different, you might say she is a bit strange sometimes, but you know, we're all different though we may pretend otherwise.  We're all strange inside.  We learn how to disguise our differentness as we grow up.  Bunny doesn't do that yet."
Quoyle exhaled, slid his hand over his chin.  A feeling they weren't talking about Bunny at all.  But who, then?  The conversation burned off like fog in sunlight.

An excerpt from The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

Painting: Summer Evening, Lusty Glaze, Newquay, Cornwall

Join the chat with me on Twitter
Say hello on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest
Follow my pictures on Tumblr


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...