Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

February 12, 2008

Ideas for New Paintings.....




Low Sun, Camel Estuary, Cornwall - Pentax Photos by Mel

My surfer paintings are finished, (for the moment anyway). I'm flicking through my sketch books and old photos looking for ideas.

These photos - a couple of years old now - were taken in Cornwall at my favourite beach near Rock. The time of year and the light remind me of the photos I used for the surfer paintings. I'm intrigued by the strong, dark horizontal band of the headland in the distance against the pale sky. I'm drawn to the dark silhouetted beach walkers and the silvery reflections of light.

Over a coffee I do my usual thing and sketch thumb nail paintings in my sketch book. I play around with ideas for different canvas sizes, devising layouts for paintings by changing the horizon line and moving the figures.

Things look promising - I feel inspired.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...