Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

June 12, 2008

Mountains, sea, sky, crofts, dormer bungalows, telegraph poles and pine trees.



Thinking aloud .... when I start a new series of paintings I reach for my sketch book. I make thumb-nail sketches of ideas for paintings which take into account the size and shape of the canvas, the colour palette and composition. I also think about what the painting is trying to communicate - my experience of the Isle of Skye or West Coast.

Looking at the photos and thinking about the impressions left in my memory; the Isle of Skye is all about black mountains, shimmering ocean and lavender distances. The sea surrounds and enters the island in the form of mysterious lochs, there are also whitewashed cottages, dry-stone walls and countless sheep. A vast vista of ever-changing sky - bright and clear one moment, and then in the turn of a head filled with great leaden clouds.

I'm replacing the people in my paintings with a lonely croft or forlorn dormer bungalow to give a sense of isolation - the telegraph line ends at the door.

Paintings of the Isle of Skye

Pints of Scotland


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...