Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

June 19, 2008

The Book Thief

Liesel watching Max in The Standover Man.
From The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Transworld Publishers.
ISBN 9780385611473. P.250, 251.

I've just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  It's very moving and beautifully written, in an unusual, visual poetic sort of way. The story is narrated by Death, who is strangely human and vulnerable. Death uses colours to describe how he feels about the souls which he collects.

It's set against the background of World War ll and Death tells the story of Liesel Meminger - the book thief. He encounters Liesel 3 times during her lifetime. The first time is when Liesel is travelling to a foster home, her brother dies on the journey. She is 9, she is alone and taken in by the Hubermann's. As is Max a short while later - he's a Jewish refugee.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...