Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

April 26, 2009

Second Cancer Month.

There's been some beautiful weather during Spring, clear blue skies and warm south winds. This photo was taken on one of R.'s better days this month. All through April, I've watched silently as day by day he has become thinner and paler. He's quiet - the radiation therapy has burnt his throat and taken his voice.  Thankfully, these physical side effects are mainly short term, but I can't help wondering about the emotional side effects?  How will he feel when the treatment ends?  How will I feel?  How strong does a relationship have to be to get through cancer?

I've read that most cancer sufferers (and their families) experience grief, in response to various losses they feel cancer has caused.  And that this grief involves denial, anger and finally acceptance.  It comes and goes, like waves in the ocean as you understand and recognize various aspects of the loss.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...