Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

February 14, 2012

I was thinking of Anna.

I sat in the bay of the window and watched the day darken.  Bare trees across the road were black against the last flares of the setting sun, and the rooks in a raucous flock were wheeling and dropping, settling disputatiously for the night.  I was thinking of Anna.  I make myself think of her, I do it as an exercise.  She is lodged in me like a knife and yet I am beginning to forget her.  Already the image of her that I hold in my head is fraying, bits of pigments, flakes of gold leaf, are chipping off.  Will the entire canvas be empty one day?  I have come to realise how little I knew her, I mean how shallowly I knew her, how ineptly.  I do not blame myself for this.  Perhaps I should.  Was I too lazy, too inattentive, too self-absorbed?  Yes, all of those things, and yet I cannot think it is a matter of blame, this forgetting, this not-having-known.  I fancy, rather, that I expected too much, in the way of knowing.  I know so little of myself, how should I think to know another?

Excerpt from The Sea by John Banville

Painting:  Pink Nude by Melanie McDonald (private collection)

View more of my paintings here

Join the chat with me on twitter
Say hello on facebook
Pin me on pinterest
Follow my pictures on tumblr



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...