Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

August 31, 2012

Between the darkness of earth and heaven ....

Between the darkness of earth and heaven she was burning fiercely upon a disc of purple sea shot by the blood-red play of gleams; upon a disc of water glittering and sinister.
A high, clear flame, an immense and lonely flame ascended from the ocean, and from its summit the black smoke poured continuously at the sky.
She burned furiously; mournful and imposing like a funeral pile kindled in the night, surrounded by the sea, watched over by the stars.
A magnificent death had come like a grace, like a gift, like a reward to that old ship at the end of her laborious days.  The surrender of her weary ghost to the keeping stars and sea was stirring like the sight of a glorious triumph.
The masts fell just before daybreak, and for a moment there was a burst and turmoil of sparks that seemed to fill with flying fire the night patient and watchful, the vast night lying silent upon the sea.  At daylight she was only a charred shell, floating still under a cloud of smoke and bearing a glowing mass of coal within.

Excerpt from Youth by Joseph Conrad

Photos taken this month at Nuit Marine - Locquirec Brittany .... where I live ....



View my paintings - Melanie McDonald Gallery

Join the chat with me on Twitter
Say hello on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest
Follow my pictures on Tumblr  



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...