Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

May 21, 2014

Vintage posters of Brittany, France


Reflecting our daydreams of distant places - travel posters offer us possibilities of beautiful scenery, sunshine, delicious food, time-out ....  

It's the Idea of Freedom - an idea I love and hope to capture in my paintings.  These posters of Brittany, where I live, date from the 1900's to the 1950's, before the advent of TV .... another reason why I find them so attractive.

Travel to beautiful Bretagne - come and enjoy the romance of standing stones, lonely Atlantic shores, ancient fishing ports and pellucid lagoons ....









These French posters, (sourced from The Vintage Poster Gallery, where some may be available to purchase), were used to entice people to use the Chemin de Fer (railroads).  Originally, the railways were used to haul minerals - after 1842 French law legalized rail travel, opening the way for tourism. 

If you love these posters, there is a larger collection on my Travel Posters of Brittany pinboard over on Pinterest.

(Ps. You can take a look at my paintings at - Melanie McDonald GalleryOr come and say Hello, ask a question - love to hear from you!, and chat with me on Twitter - or just Like my NEW page on Facebook, thanks!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...