Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

May 23, 2014

#FridayPainting : Live as you dream, Rock, Cornwall


Ah! Seaweed smells from sandy caves
And thyme and mist in whiffs,
In-coming tide, Atlantic waves
Slapping the sunny cliffs,
Lark song and sea sounds in the air
And splendour, splendour everywhere.


This large new painting is called Live as you dream, and it depicts The Camel Estuary viewed from Rock, on the north coast of Cornwall. It's accompanied by a few words from the poem, Seaside Golf, by Sir John Betjeman CBE and Poet Laureate.  Betjeman's love affair with Cornwall began when he visited as a small boy from the London suburbs - it turned into a lifelong passion, which inspired many well-loved poems.  He's buried at St. Enodoc church on the Camel Estuary, very near to the spot where I worked on this painting. 

More books by Sir John Betjeman can be found here on Amazon UK.

Painting details: Live as you dream, Rock, Cornwall - Limited Edition Prints available as ready-to-hang Canvas Wraps or Paper Prints from my online shop. 

If you like this post, please subscribe by email using the 'WEEKLY NEWS INTO YOUR INBOX' Form near the top of the page.

You can take a look at all my paintings at - Melanie McDonald Gallery

Or come and say Hello, ask a question (love to hear from you!), and chat with me on Twitter
Like my NEW page on Facebook
(Pinterest and pictures on Tumblr)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...