Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

May 23, 2009

Third Cancer Month


“I’m grateful for the cancer experience. It has taught me to see what is really important in life," is something you read about ....

It doesn't apply to me - I'm not grateful for this cancer experience in any way and I doubt R. is either. I'm not grateful for something which has taken away my Husband's thyroid, his energy, sense of security in his health and his future. I'm not grateful for something which has taken away my joy. Cancer has made me yearn for life the way it used to be. It's like an ache that never leaves me.

R. was diagnosed with cancer after surgery in February this year and has been treated with chemo and radio therapy. It's been a crap time for us, traumatic. At first, our energy was directed toward coping with the immediate crisis, now that treatment has ended, things are getting back to normal-ish. I'm not sure we'll ever really get over this, however we're trying to accept it and learn to live with it. We know things could be a whole lot worse.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...