Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

September 21, 2011

The first chill winds of autumn.


September, 1653.  The last of summer.  The first chill winds of autumn.  The sun no longer strikes my eastern window as I wake, but, turning laggard, does not top the hill before eight o'clock.  A white mist hides the bay sometimes until noon, and hangs about the marshes too, leaving, when it lifts, a breath of cold air behind it.  Because of this, the tall grass in the meadow never dries, but long past midday shimmers and glistens in the sun, the great drops of moisture hanging motionless upon the stems.  I notice the tides more than I did once.  They seem to make a pattern to the day.  When the water drains from the marshes, and little by little the yellow sands appear, rippling and hard and firm, it seems to my foolish fancy, as I lie here, that I too go seaward with the tide, and all my old hidden dreams that I thought buried for all time are bare and naked to the day, just as the shells and the stones are on the sands.

Opening passage from The King's General by Daphne Du Maurier (1907 - 89), who lived and died in Cornwall, which was the setting for most of her books.

Painting - The Doom Bar, Cornwall - 72 x 48 inches.  Private commission.
Please view my commission paintings information page http://www.melaniemcdonald.co.uk/commission-paintings-by-melanie-mcdonald.htm


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...