Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

November 01, 2011

This month is all mine ....


The next morning, the first day of November, I went at dawn to the arch at the end of Rua Augusta, the most beautiful street in the world.  The sea in the wan morning light was like a smooth surface of flat silver.  To experience with special alertness how long a month is - that was the idea that had driven me out of bed.  In the cafĂ©, I was the first one.  When there were only a few sips left in the cup, I slowed down the usual pace of drinking.  I was uncertain what I should do when the cup was empty .... What does it depend on when we have experienced a month as fulfilled time, our time, instead of a time that has passed us by, which we only suffered, that ran through our fingers, so that it seems to us like a lost, past time, and we're not sad because it's past, but because we couldn't do anything with it?  So, the question was not how long is a month, but rather: What can you do for yourself with the time of a month?  When is it that I have the impression that this month was all mine?

An excerpt from Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier.

I've been away from the studio for a few weeks and I have decided to make this month all mine ....


Painting:  Past and future fogotten ....



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...