Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

January 22, 2012

To have the time to contemplate ....


















It was later, when she got home and lay in the bed after her evening meal, that the day she had just spent would seem like one of the longest of her life as she would find herself going through it scene by scene.  Even tiny details stayed in her mind.  When she deliberately tried to think about something else, or leave her mind blank, events from the day would come quickly back.  For each day, she thought, she needed a whole other day to contemplate what had happened and store it away, get it out of her system so that it did not keep her awake at night or fill her dreams with flashes of what had actually happened and other flashes that had nothing to do with anything familiar, but were full of rushes of colour or crowds of people, everything frenzied and fast.

Excerpt from Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.

Painting: Looking towards Trevose, Constantine Bay, Cornwall

Join the chat on Twitter
Say Hi on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...