Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

January 27, 2009

Surfer Paintings for Polzeath Restaurant.

Big Sky, Surfers North Cornwall
Lone Surfer, North Cornwall Beach

Atlantic Breakers at Polzeath, Cornwall

Over the last couple of years I've been working on a series of surfer paintings. These were originally inspired by walks on Fistral Beach when I lived in Newquay, Cornwall .  Fistral Beach is regarded as the premier surfing beach in the U.K. and where the surf scene is *at* - I used to walk on the beach every day and there were always lots of surfers trying to catch the peaks and tubes made by the waves.

The silhouettes of surfers and their boards make intriguing shapes against the backdrop of sea and horizon. They are also a useful device to add scale to a beachscape painting. I'm exploring different surf beaches and themes such as lone or groups of surfers, and different times of day. I recently walked on beaches at dusk and watched the night surfing event in Newquay, which lead to the idea of painting night surfers.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...