Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

October 22, 2013

Treading in the steps of Eileen Agar.

'I am very much a nature-worshipper and I always try to bring nature into my work ... On the whole I feel that nature is something free.  Nature can produce the most astonishing shapes that you could never dream of'. Comment by Eileen Agar on the film of her work in the series Five Women Painters, Channel Four, 1989.

The pink rock mayhem of Ploumanac'h, (not far from where I live), was much loved by the famous British surrealist artist, Eileen Agar.  Walking amongst these immense biomorphic boulders, I can see why they would appeal to a surrealist.  They are created by the forces of nature - yet resemble man-made sculptures both ancient, (a head from Easter Island, for example), and modern, (works by Henry Moore).  Enveloped by the past .... I felt the curious thrill of a connection with another woman artist, who took these photos decades ago in 1936.


Bum and Thumb Rock, Ploumanac'h 1936 by Eileen Agar - Tate Archive Photographic Collection
Source: Tate Online Research Publications - The 'Comic Sublime': Eileen Agar at Ploumanac'h 



Rocks, Ploumanac'h 1936 by Eileen Agar - Tate Archive Photographic Collection


Rocks, Ploumanac'h 1936 by Eileen Agar - Tate Archive Photographic Collection



Eileen Agar, Rocks and Le Lapin, Ploumanac'h, 1936 - Exhibition catalogue for La Subversion des Images, Surréalisme, Photographie, Film shown at Centre Pompidou 23 September 2009 - 11th January 2010.
Source: One year of books - La Subversion des Images


Rockface, Ploumanac'h 1936 by Eileen Agar - Tate Archive Photographic Collection 


Easter Island Rock Head at Ploumanac'h

For more information on Eileen Agar at Ploumanac'h read the interesting and informative Tate Online Research Publication:  The 'Comic Sublime' by Ian Walker.


More of my photos of Ploumanac'h can be viewed here:  

My Côtes d'Armor - Ploumanac'h Pink

My Côtes d'Armor - The Pink Granite Coast




Prints of Melanie McDonald paintings in my New! Online Shop



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...